Niger: Six Killed as Bandits Attack Tungan-Makeri, Burn Police StationNiger: Six Killed as Bandits Attack Tungan-Makeri, Burn Police Station
No fewer than six persons have been killed following an attack by suspected bandits on Tungan-Makeri community in Niger State.
The attackers were also reported to have set a police station ablaze in nearby Konkoso during the coordinated assault, which occurred late Sunday night.
Local sources told DAILY POST that the armed men stormed the community in large numbers, shooting sporadically and causing residents to flee for safety.
According to eyewitnesses, the assailants targeted both civilians and security facilities, leaving several houses damaged in the process.
“They came heavily armed and started shooting. People ran into the bush for safety. Six bodies have been recovered so far,” a resident said.
The police station in Konkoso was reportedly razed during the attack, although it was unclear if any officers were killed or injured.
Security operatives have since been deployed to the affected areas, while efforts are ongoing to restore calm and track down the perpetrators.
The Niger State Police Command is yet to issue an official statement as of the time of filing this report.
The latest attack adds to growing security concerns in parts of Niger State, where banditry and other violent crimes have persisted despite ongoing security operations.
No fewer than six persons have been killed following an attack by suspected bandits on Tungan-Makeri community in Niger State.
The attackers were also reported to have set a police station ablaze in nearby Konkoso during the coordinated assault, which occurred late Sunday night.
Local sources told DAILY POST that the armed men stormed the community in large numbers, shooting sporadically and causing residents to flee for safety.
According to eyewitnesses, the assailants targeted both civilians and security facilities, leaving several houses damaged in the process.
“They came heavily armed and started shooting. People ran into the bush for safety. Six bodies have been recovered so far,” a resident said.
The police station in Konkoso was reportedly razed during the attack, although it was unclear if any officers were killed or injured.
Security operatives have since been deployed to the affected areas, while efforts are ongoing to restore calm and track down the perpetrators.
The Niger State Police Command is yet to issue an official statement as of the time of filing this report.
The latest attack adds to growing security concerns in parts of Niger State, where banditry and other violent crimes have persisted despite ongoing security operations.